Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Researching Minimalism and artists works concern issues often generated when producing such forms of works, lead me to consider my installation in greater terms of spatiality and the effect darkness can have on our perceptions, to the factors presented to us.


James Turrell (Ganzfeld) and Miroslaw Balka (How it is, 2009) often confront the viewer with a space and aspect capable of distortion to their perceptions due to low light conditions. Issues of heightened self-awareness come into play and we are often forced into relying on senses we are less familiar to using for navigation.

I have attempted to plunge my viewers into a darkness (as dark as the surrounding space will allow me), with only an extremely dim spot light to lead the spectator to the location they need to be in.





No comments:

Post a Comment